Saturday, August 25, 2012

Everyday I Write The Book



Don't tell me you don't know what love is
When you're old enough to know better
When you find strange hands in your sweater
When your dreamboat
 Turns out to be a footnote
I'm a man with a mission in 2 or 3 editions

& I'm giving you a longing look
Everyday I write the book

Chapter 1, we didn't really get along
Chapter 2,  I think I fell in love with you
You said you'd stand by me in the middle
Of Chapter 3
But you were up to your old tricks in
Chapters 4, 5 & 6

The way you walk
The way you talk, & try to kiss me,
& laugh
In 4 or 5 paragraphs
All your compliments & your cutting remarks
Are captured here in my quotation marks

& I'm giving you a longing look
Everyday, everyday, everyday
I write the book

Don't tell me you don't know the difference
Between a lover & a fighter
With my pen & my electric typewriter
Even in a perfect world
 Where everyone was equal
I'd still own the film rights
&be working on the sequel

& I'm giving you a longing look
Everyday, everyday,
 Everyday I write the book

Elvis Costello
1983

No comments:

Post a Comment