Thursday, August 9, 2012

Bucket List


I have visited Italy twice, once while on tour with a singing group when I was 15 years old & 20 years ago, with The Husband, on the trip that was life changing & impassioned.

In 1992, fortunate me, I enjoyed having a national commercial, an international commercial & a national voice-over all airing at the same time, I was receiving residual checks for over $1000 each week. Still in my 30s, I made no effort to be responsible or save the income. In October 1992, The Husband & I spent a week in Venice & 2 weeks in Tuscany. Because we were well funded, this adventure was not censored by a budget.  We stayed in hallucinatory lodges with outlandish views. We went with empty suitcases & purchased change of clothing as we needed. We ate & drank what & when we wanted. 20 years later, it is a rare day that I don’t reference that journey. Italy changed my life.

Your host at the door of our pension in Venice, October 1992

The Husband taking in the Tuscan countryside in Sienna


In my lifetime, & I figure I have, possibly, another 20 good years left, I desire to go to this place. La Grotte della Civita features guest rooms are spread throughout a complex of ancient cave houses in Matera, on the southwest coast of Italy, at an UNESCO World Heritage Site that dates back to the Stone Age.







Each room features simple furnishings influenced by traditional designs (a local museum was consulted during the process) & made by area craftspeople. The caves have been modernized for comfort (running water, electricity, etc.), but the focus is on conservation & historical integrity.

Shall we have a Post Apocalyptic retreat at this unworldly, exotic place? Have you visited Italy? What destination is on your list of “before I am gone from this world”?

No comments:

Post a Comment