Sunday, February 20, 2011

Pimping out Richard: Blogging for Mental Illness Stamps.



My Goodness, what a handsome devil.  Do I even have to pimp him out?


This is Richard.  Richard is my shenanigans, vicious pink bear painting, gardening, home preserve making, get kicked out of the theatre with,  house reorganizing, stylish friend who wears neon sunglasses and takes pictures of his feet, ok? Don't worry, he always has good shoes.   Even if he mails me yellow and green shoes from supermarket sometimes.

Richard does nice things for me.  He sends me paintings, has water fights with my kids, makes fun of people's music collections with me,  helps me flood fancy hotel bathrooms with bubbles, sends me mobile photos of Rick Mercer, goes to Canada's Wonderland with us, gives me wind up sushi toys, tries on hot dog hats and he happens to be a clever graphic artist.  He also helped talk me though a really tough time in my life.  He has a good heart and he's a good egg altogether.   Take my word for it.   He helps everyone.




He has designed a stamp for Canada Post in a nation wide competition and it has made it to the final top five round of voting. If he wins, the stamp will be printed and put into circulation.  I KNOW!  *high fives all around* That is so awesome!  It is in support of Mental Health Canada.
Richard is currently in second place and needs your help.  We must get him to first, Internet.   Being his friend is not the only reason.  In fact, I wouldn't solicit on his behalf on this blog if I didn't believe in this.   Even if I love him.


Canada's Wonderland, Fools.

You guys, his stamp design is the best one.  It is the only one that does not portray mental illness negatively.  I think that this is crucial, since the whole idea is to break the stigma shackled to those who are suffering with this.   What I am saying is that not only do I hope he wins because he's my friend, I hope his stamp design wins because it is going to be plastered all over envelopes in the near future.  I don't think it's right to have a stamp with negative implications in circulation all over my country and in people faces.  Okay? 

I know that it is not about the prize for him, either.  The prize isn't that spectacular to be honest.  It's an ipad.  Whoopdedoo.   It's bigger than that.  His design shows quite simply that there is hope and it doesn't have to be traumatizing to live with mental illness and that help is out there.  It's not all covered in negative words and scary drawings that depict confusion and isolation.

So if you could find it in your heart to click this link, have a look at the entries and maybe cast a few stars his way, I'd really appreciate it!  You don't have to sign up for anything and you can vote once per day.  But if you only get to voting once, that is okay.  I would really appreciate that much!  If not, that's sort of okay I guess.  I'll just assume you hate baby animals and butterflies and orphans.  

Anyhow, this is Richard's stamp design:




 The contest closes on March 14.

Thank you thank you, Readers!

Are we good?  Ok. good.

No comments:

Post a Comment